my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  ARDS Foundation   » Feeling Helpless   » swallowing disorder from ventilator

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: swallowing disorder from ventilator
jestesz
Member # 132

posted June 08, 2002 07:08 AM     Profile for jestesz   Author's Homepage   Email jestesz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My husband was on a ventilator for 5 weeks, and now has one vocal chord that isn't working. Of course, this means that he can't eat.
Does anyone have experience with this? Where can I get research on it?
Thanks.

Linda
Member # 5

Member Rated:

posted June 09, 2002 04:58 AM     Profile for Linda   Author's Homepage   Email Linda     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi there,
So sorry to hear about your husband.
I tried to research some information for you. try this link

findarticles.com

[ June 09, 2002: Message edited by: Linda ]

Sue
Member # 33

Member Rated:

posted June 10, 2002 07:31 AM     Profile for Sue   Author's Homepage   Email Sue     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
greetings. My vocal cords were injured from being on the vent then I developed trachael(sp?) stenosis. I coughed and coughed and coughed for almost 1.5 years after ARDS. This created other problems..hernia and acid reflux. I don't remember all the difficulties I had with eating in the beginning but I ate a lot of Rice Krispies and mashed potatoes then moved on to over cooked pasta.
Keep us informed with your husband's progress.

Tina
Member # 206

Member Rated:

posted November 16, 2002 01:15 PM     Profile for Tina   Author's Homepage   Email Tina     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I developed vocal cord paralysis on the left side as a result of being on the ventillator so long. Swallowing is still difficult for me (It's been 1-1/2 years) At first, I couldn't even swallow liquids or ice chips. I had an assessment done by a voice therapist to assess the extent of my problem. She was able to add a considerable amount of a product called THICK IT (it is sold over the counter in most pharmacies) to liquids so that I was able to swallow them. I also went to John Hopkins University for an evaluation by an Otolaryngologist. He performed a procedure called a videostroboscopy in order to gage the amount of paralysis. He recommended voice therapy (it's not quite the same as speech therapy). I had about four months of voice therapy which helped quite a bit. There is a surgical procedure which can be done to correct the problem. They insert some type of stint into the vocal cords to create movement. I personally have elected not to have the surgery because my problem is no longer that severe.
Hope this helps you.
Tina

Diana
Member # 110

Rate Member

posted November 17, 2002 01:49 AM     Profile for Diana   Email Diana     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tina I am so glad I have found you. You are so knowledgable. This websit really needs someone like you. Thanks for helping out eventhough you should be sleeping.
jestesz
Member # 132

posted November 17, 2002 02:08 PM     Profile for jestesz   Author's Homepage   Email jestesz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Several weeks ago, I posted a message asking for information about a weak vocal chord due to a long time on a ventilator.
Yesterday, I got some responses.

Now, my husband is doing extremely well. He voice is nearly normal, the cough a once-in-a-while thing, and he will return to our aerobics class the first of December.

It turns out that it just took time. We had a pretty aggressive speech therapist who just kept urging him to do more difficult foods. He was lucky and didn't get pneumonia, so he just kept progressing.
He did get pneumonia when he was almost fully recovered, but medication took care of it.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Judy

Diana
Member # 110

Rate Member

posted November 18, 2002 01:01 PM     Profile for Diana   Email Diana     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Judy,

I am sorry that no one responsed to your questions, maybe some people are not for sure and Tina is new to the Website. I had trouble talking for a long time. I still have problems sometimes and I cannot talk. When I was the hospital they had to tie my hands and feet down because I pulled the tubes out several times. But, when people have these things put in their throat there is always that chance that one might get injured. I never had severe damage to my throat. My throat problems they eventually got better.

But there are probably people out there that are struggle with this. I am lucky that I can think again. You joined the website after I did. I lost contact with the ARDS Foundation because I could not afford internet. I still can't but I am going to take that chance because I want to help people. I don't know what happen to everyone. Maybe thinking about ARDS is very difficult and painful for them. It has been a very emotional two years for me. I really think people can't handle it. The last two weeks since I have been on the website. It has been very hard for me and I have cried lately. I guess people have to move on with their lives. I will try to dedicate more of my time when I feel O.K.

I know by being on this website that there are some very smart people here. Eileen is one of the smartest when it comes to the lungs.

I still have post-ards complications and I am sure there are many people that still do.

But, I am truly sorry to you. I hope that things are better now for your husband.

Please e-mail me direct, if I can help you

[ November 18, 2002: Message edited by: Diana ]

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | ARDS Foundation | Privacy Statement

DISCLAIMER: The opinions and views posted on the message board do not necessarily reflect those views of the ARDS Foundation. ArdsUSA.org reserves the right to remove communications which are abusive, illegal, disruptive, and otherwise fail to conform with the terms and conditions previously agreed to. Any medical or legal views or opinions are not endorsed by ARDSUSA.org and if you have any specific medical or legal questions or concerns, you need to consult with a medical or legal professional.

Copyright 2001 ARDS Foundation. All rights reserved.

Ultimate Bulletin Board 6.04c